Friday, April 9, 2010




Bad Dream
Who will be the next president you vote for? This will be a big responsibility, so please do not make a mistake. It is almost impossible to know who will be a good president. Almost all of them make mistakes. Brazil had a particularly bad experience with Fernando Collor de Mello. He was corrupt, and many Brazilian people, including my family suffered when he was president. As a result of his bad presidency, people lost jobs, their businesses and homes. From the moment he was elected as president in Brazil in 1990, my family had a bad experience that they had never had before.


One effect of Fernando Collor’s presidency was that, my parents lost their business. After his took over as president of Brazil, things didn’t go as well for my parents. We had a nice home, expensive cars in the garage, a soaring business, but we lost several material items. My father owned a mechanic business. My father’s business did well for ten years. However, his business was not the same during Fernando Collor’s presidency. People didn’t have money to spend on anything. It was time to save whatever they had. The only money people had was for buying food. In addition, Fernando Collor froze the Brazilian citizens’ bank accounts, and they were unable to deposit or withdraw money from their banks. Therefore, my father lost his clients, and his business declined. He couldn’t pay the rent for his business, no money was coming in, and no money was going out. As a result, he had to close down his business.

In addition, the bad financial situation caused my parents to become depressed. My parents took a long time to collect all the material things that they had in the past. It was not easy to handle this bad hardships. It was the first time since they got married that they suffered with financial situation. They were very depressed. It was strange to see my father when he came home because he was not the same person anymore. He didn’t smile like he always used to. He was very stressed and complained about money every day. My mother just cried. She didn’t have a job anymore because her job was to help my father in his office. It was difficult for my brother to watch all of this. We were just kids, and there was nothing we could do to help them. It was sad to see how money could affect my family the way did.


Another family that was affected by this situation in Brazil was my uncle’s family. My uncle, Eremar has three sons, and two of them were in high school during the period Collor was president. My uncle had a nice job that paid very well. He worked for Ford Motors. He was there for twenty four years, and he was able to provide a good private school education for his children. However, this crisis in Brazil made my uncle lose his job. For this reason, he wasn’t able to continue paying for my cousin’s high school, so my cousin had to transfer to a public school. They didn’t like the idea of moving. They thought a public high school would not give them a good education. They studied there for three years until my uncle got hired into a better job. Finally, with a good paying job, my uncle was able again to provide a good education for his children.

A change in the presidency helped everyone. It was time to change, and everyone hoped for a better leader. In 1992, the government had voted for Fernando Collor to leave the presidency. This was good news for all Brazilian people, including my family. The progress for my family was a little bit slow. However, my father reopened a new business, got back his old clients, and made new ones. It was a bad dream which we were excited to wake up from. This effect didn’t only shock my family, but the entire nation. After many Brazilian people, including my family, made many mistakes with our choice for president, I believe today we have the right one, and our country is an path of progress and growth.

5 comments:

  1. A good president is a good country’s symbol. for your family's lost, i believe one day your family's economic status will be better as well as previous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a really bad situation, but things will become better. After I read your essay, I likely learned a history lesson from Brazil. it is an intersting essay. It is a truth that we have a right to choose a president for our country. We should think about it carefully and vote it. It affects a country a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My country doesn't have a president, but supermegaextra bad governors. The politic in PR puts the people every year in a worse situation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Unfortunately, we never know for who we are voting for until it is done. The sad part is that Bresil learned it the hard way

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your topic is very interesting. I feel bad that you had such a bad president and it affected you in a bad way. overall, your thesis statement and other topic sentences are very good and organized.

    ReplyDelete