Sunday, April 11, 2010

First Steps










On August 24, 1991, Ukraine became independent from the USSR, this was like a child leaving the house to live on her own for the first time. This was both a happy and sad moment simultaneously. For the first time Ukraine had an opportunity to be a free, strong, and independent country. We were looking forward to that moment and kept our heads held high. However, after a few months of being free, we experienced difficulties we never experienced before in addition to the ones we already had in our country. At that time, we thought we saw it all with the loss of jobs and a bad economy. Unfortunately, it was only the beginning of our long journey. After six months of independence, we experienced the greatest inflation in Ukraine’s history. People rapidly started losing jobs, families did not get their paychecks on time, and the banking system began to collapse. I believe every country goes through this type of crisis after a revolution or a change in regime. Going though this has been exhausting for my country and its people. At times, these hardships seemed like they were never going to get better, but now times are better than they used to be. Unfortunately, our family was not immune to these problems, we experienced them as deeply as everyone else did, if not worse.









When my mother was young, she was able to live out her dream of being a kindergarten teacher. After Ukraine became independent, many people lost their jobs, including my mother. She was devastated she loved her job, and she could not imagine not going to work after seventeen years. In Ukraine, kindergarten is not mandatory or required by law. As a result, parents kept their kids at home because one of them or even sometimes both were unemployed. This would help parents to save, so fewer children attended kindergarten. As a result, my mother was laid off. At that point, she did not know what to do. She was looking for jobs everywhere. I remember her devastation. Even as a child, I did not truly understand what happened, but I knew it was not going to be favorable for us. By losing her job, she lost her dreams and hopes which was very hard for her, but there was nothing she could do about the situation.









All their lives my father and my mother were working non-stop trying to save money for a house and for my brothers and my education. After Ukraine was granted its independence, the country had the highest rate of inflation in its history. As a result, my parents’ saving vanished as did their hope for a better life. Russia put a hold on all the bank accounts causing prices to skyrocket. We barely had enough money to buy food, forget about clothes or toys. We were eating simple foods because everything was very expensive or not available. We had to stick with bread, butter and potatoes. Clothes were not a priority and toys we would get only on Christmas and then it would be only a doll or a book. That is all my parents could afford, same as many other families. Their dream for a better house and a better education for me and my brother vanished as well. I remember my parents were sad, upset and angry. We were no longer a happy family, we were a devastated family.









Because times were so hard in Ukraine I had to think about other options to help my family. Therefore, when I got the opportunity to go to the U.S., I was very excited, not only for me, but for my family as well. I had a chance to grow up and help my family. After being in the U.S. for five years, I helped my parents to buy their first home. I wanted them to have their dreams back.









Over the last decade, Ukraine’s economy has improved. People do not struggle as they did in the past. However, my country is still young and it needs a lot of work. I can tell we are on the right track because our banking system has improved, more jobs are available and Ukrainians can even travel the world now; a feat that was almost impossible when Ukraine was part of the USSR. Now, even the outside world has a better understanding of my country and will give us a helping hand when we need it. My family has felt this progress as well. My mother is once again working as a teacher living out her dream. Our savings is growing and I hope to get back to visit soon. Throughout all the joy and hardships my country went though, I still believe in it. One day my country is going to be strong and powerful.

7 comments:

  1. Such a great daughter, Nadia!
    I like your intro and many details. I felt like watching a sad movie, but I was happy at the end.
    I hope that you are able to meet your family soon. Best luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That must have been very hard. Thanks to share this with us. We always need to fight for our dream. You can be proud.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are correct; many countries have suffered with some economic crisis. Brazil was one of those.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I experienced something similar since 4 years ago until the begining of this year. My father lost his job too, and the things changed dramaticaly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your topic touches audience's attention.I also like the title of your essay.Your essay is well organized and clear.

    ReplyDelete
  7. there are a lot of things that we cannot expect, but we still have hope. i hope u will meet ur family soon

    ReplyDelete