Sunday, March 7, 2010

"Back to My Communication" by Leiko

“Communication is not only the essence of being human, but also a vital property of life.” This was written by John A. Piece. Communication is essential to living in this society. In our life, our first tool is communication. Whenever you make a speech, sales promotion, or make friends, it plays an important role in a person’s success. Human spirit is relative to communication. People express their ideas through it. Actually, when I lived in my country, China, there was no doubt that I didn’t worry about it. However, when I left my place and came to the US, everything was changed. Losing communication is equal to losing confidence, a connection with people, and working conditions.


Self-confidence has always been the way to present myself. When I was in China, confidence gave me power to do things. When I came to the US, it was gone with my transition. When I went to school in China, teachers would teach us how to build up self-confidence at first. It was very obvious. A lack of confidence makes it difficult to become successful. Last semester, I begun studying at Harold Washington College, and I visited a tutor every week. At first, a tutor would give me some suggestions through communication. She said that communication was a good way to know more about a student’s needs. During the communication, she mentioned that I had a lack of confidence. My voice was very week and low. Sometimes, she was unaware of what I said because I was talking in a low voice which was hard to hear. Attitude decides people’s lives; however, confidence also decides people’s lives.


A connection with people is likes a bridge between two cities. When I used my English to communicate the first time, I didn't know what I was going to say. The feeling was like the person who I was talking to; however, we were not the same. I was afraid that they wouldn't understand me. In China, I was an outgoing person and liked different kinds of social activities. Nevertheless, now I always keep silent and put my head down because I cannot use my own language when I can’t explain what I want. I have felt disappointed with this situation. That’s why I decided to take speech class. In the speech class, the teacher put emphasis on people’s motivation. In fact, even thought I am not good at using English during conversation, I can also use behavior, body language, and eye contact. Those skills can make me know how my audience understands me. At the same time, I need to control my nerves. This is a way to get close with my audience. Therefore, when I came to the US, connection was becoming the important role in my lives.


Finally, communication is the first condition to get a good job. Communication is also essential to have good working conditions. Everyone wants to find a better job, but bosses will not hire people who lack communication skills. At the same time, bosses will compare me to other employees, so I have to improve myself to get respect. Even though I quit my job already, I still remember when I just came to the US. I had no choice but to find a low paying and difficult job in which I had to work from Monday to Sunday except school hours. I still remembered clear when I was in secondary school, I did not aspire to get a good job. I just thought do the job without English because I knew that there was Chinatown in the US. I could sell things to Chinese or to be a waitress which serves Chinese. Those jobs didn't need any English skills. Now I think that was such a stupid idea. I realize that a good working condition is a way to get a successful life.

When a person immigrates to a new place, there is no doubt that she/he will lose a lot. I was no exception. Communication is an indispensable thing in our life. Therefore, I hope that one day my communication skills will match what they were in China. It is my tool to take back my confidence, form connection to my friends, and also a part of my life.

8 comments:

  1. Hi Leiko,
    You are right. Communication is the base for everything. I do think, you will be able to speek to everyone, because at least with me, you speek a lot. hehe...

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I first time came here, I also felt the same way. My English was poor. It is hard for me to express my thought. I was afraid of getting lost in Chicago because I did not understand them even though I just asked how to go to a place. Communication is the most important in our life. We can try to speak English as much as possible becasue most of American are kind and they listen to you carefully.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Commication is really important.I had the same problem when I came to the US. My problem was with pronunciation,it was really bad.It was hard to peopleundestand what I tried to say. I did the same as you,I took speak class,but in my case it didn't help me.I help my self by my own,as speak every days a little bit of English over the phone.I have to say,I think your English is much better than when I met you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel jusk like you when I speak in English. I feel comportable when I write in English. However, when I speak in English, I lost my confidence. That's the most difficult challenge for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. First of all, I like your title and quote. I like your explanation about your lack of communication. Also, your comparison about communication is really interesting. I like your conclusion because it restates your whole ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Leike, communication is sure very important but I like the fact that we all arrive in the US with different level and manage to create friendship that will last. I think we should not push people and just give them time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Priscilla: Thank you for your help, I also think I should speak a lot. In addition, I hope you guys understand what I say during the conversation.
    Qimei Huang: Actually you help me a lot. Thank you. Now I should change my attitude in learning English. I am changing myself little by little.
    Angelica: Thank you! I want to say that it is you guys help me a lot, you always listen to me in patience so that I have a little bit confidence.
    Ansuk: Yes. That's why we will feel difficult in speaking English because in my country students only need to write it in order to pass the English class.
    Ahasan: Thank you for your comment. Actually, my writing is very bad. I always lack of words to write.
    Henri: English doesn't come in our mind by itself. I know I should communicate with others constantly. I will bother you a lot. haha^^

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Leiko,
    First of all the way you start your essay is realy attractive. You are right communication is the best way to build confidence but don't get scared because if you get scared may be this fear will always remain in you even after you learn english.

    ReplyDelete