Sunday, March 7, 2010

Getting Lost from Qimei Huang

Getting Lost



One day, I was talking with my friend on the phone and she said, “You have changed.” At first, I was shocked and speechless because I had not realized that before. But after a few seconds, “It was a good change for me, right?” I said. In 2008, I decided to go to Chicago and study. I knew it would be a challenge for me because American culture is different from Chinese culture. Everything in this country is new for me. I have been here for just one year, but the American culture has affected my relationship to friends, family and the community.


Friends play an important role in everyone’s life. If you are far away from your family, your friends will act as your family. They can help you when you are in trouble. And when I came here the first time, I was excited because I was able to make new friends from other countries. In China, when people meet for the first time, they will not talk a lot and just greet each other, so I was shy and passive my first day in class. In contrast, people in my class were active and learned from each other. Even though it was the first day in class, they were friendly and talkative. At that time, I was worried because this was not my way of meeting people. It seemed that I was isolated. Lately, I realized that this is the United States not China and I should get used to these kinds of ways of talking to and meeting people. After a few days, I encouraged myself and tried to meet people from my own initiative. It was true that I could make friends easily if I was active.

I have different opinions not only about friends but also about family. The value people place on family differs between these two countries. In America, independence is often more important than family. When people are eighteen years old in the U.S, many will start to live by themselves, and they can do what they want to do. By contrast, in China, family is the first consideration in person’s mind. When a person decides to do something, he should think about his family. For example, when parents in America get older, many of them might live alone or live in the old folks home where there are nurses and doctors looking after them. It seems normal. They think their children have a new family to take care of and need to spend time on their career. They should have their privacy and time. However, in China, children will live with parents and take care of them by themselves when their parents get older. If some people make their parents live in nursing home or live alone, people think they are not good children and hurt their parents feeling. I was struggling with these two points of view when I first time got here. In the past, I thought it was good to live with parents. However now, I prefer living by myself because I like the freedom I have, and living with family feels like I’m attached to a chain. I could not just leave it alone. As you can see, independence goes first in America, but in China family is of sovereign importance.



In community, people present themselves in distinct ways. In the United States, people are assertive and compelling when they are in public. They want to show the ability they have. They have enthusiasm to express their emotions. On the other hand, people in China, are more formal and modest. They will think about the propriety and righteousness. They prefer keeping their emotions in their heart. For instance, in the United States, when a teacher asked for a volunteer in class, sometimes I would keep quiet and listen to the teacher. However, other students in my class motivate and shared their opinions. It made me feel like I am falling behind. However now, I have changed myself. I try to participate in class and ask questions when I am confused. It is more fun than just listening to teacher.
People will change as life moves on. I have changed the way I get along with friends, family and other people in my community. When I first arrived here, I seemed to feel lost. It was hard to accept it, but now, I understand it is a different culture, so it affects people’s personalities. You cannot change the world, but you can change yourself. My friend told me that I could learn something new from a new culture; however, at the same time, it was a challenge for me. I think in the future I will become more amenable.


11 comments:

  1. WOW~I do not have you brave to make friend. I still shy and passsive. however I agree with you, world cannot changed, only thing I can change is to change myself to make the life better. I will try my best to become more amenable. let try our best together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don’t have that courage to make a foreigner friend, just because of English problem. My English is so poor. I am afraid of to speck in English, because the people don't understand me very often. I will fell embarrassing. This is why I am always silent. No one wants to make friend with me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i think you are right, America is not our country and as much as we miss our countries, we also need to adapt ourselves to the new home. And my personal opinion, you are great as you are no matter what.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my dear friend Qimei. I LOVED your essay!!! While I was reading I could see you in your story. You write so well, very clear and interesting! And I see that you are not ashamed of asking when you don't understand something in class, like Leiko. She told me she is very shy too, but I think you guys are doing great. As well your speeches in Speech class. We brazilians are less shy. But I like to see your improvement and your essay is just great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Qimei, I enjoyed your article very much because I had same experience and feeling. Even though we're from the different countries, I think that Asian culture seems very similar. My personality and thought have changed a lot since I'm here. No matter where we are, if we follow our confidence and heart, i believe that we are able to live on our lives. Your essay is great!^^

    ReplyDelete
  6. Initiative is very important for us to live in U.S. It's very good that you got the way to live here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Qimei, I am agree with you some parts. However, I think independence or freedom doesn't mean living without family. People should be growing with independence and freedom, but their should be responsible for their family. Let's make an example, you want to go out, your parents opposed, at this time, maybe you will want to live alone. However, I think this is not the problem of independence or freedom. This is mutual trust. If the parents trust their children, they won't opposed they do everything. This is only my understanding of independence and freedom. My little sister. haha

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like your hook. Your essay are east reading, I know what you are talking about, and it is very organizes. I felt the same as you. I am glad that you have change a lot to adapt into this country.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Qimei,
    Changes are always good if it effects you in positive way. The change you observe in yourself is something that I too want to have in myself. You have beautifully organized your essay and put your feelings in it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am happy that you enjoy my essay. At first, I am a very shy person. After I came here, I realized that I had to communicet with people in English, or i cannot impove my English. I encourage myself a lot when I am afraid of doing something. In the end, I will just do it without thinking. After you finish, you will be proud what you did. In fact, everyone will make a mistake in life. If we try our best to do it, and overcome it, everything will be better.
    I hope you also enjoy your life.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i like your essay, it just the same way how i feel about America, yeah it was hard how to make a real friend, i dont have a lot friend, who is understand me at all. by the way, i really enjoy your essay, you do a good job. great essay:) i hope you will know how to adapt in the US, which is the country diverse cultural in the world,i think:)

    ReplyDelete