Friday, March 26, 2010

My Colorful Tradition





My grandfather used to tell me “No matter what, all people need to fight for what they want until they reach their goal”. Sometimes in order to reach that goal, it is necessary to leave things behind to start living new ones. I had always dreamed to know what freedom feels like. Now, I am miles away from the place I grew up, my traditions, my language, and my colorful culture. Culture has been the most difficult thing to handle and keep practicing in this big country that feels like a big river instead of the little fish tank where I used to live. In the U.S., they don’t celebrate “Day of the Dead”, they don’t make altares on the graves of their relatives that passed away nor do they put favorite food or drink on it.

Mexicans are known because of their colorful traditions that are celebrated almost every month. The most important tradition “Dia de los Muertos” or “Day of the Dead” that I used to celebrate in my country is almost impossible to celebrate here in the U.S. Every year in November, people like to go to the cemetery and visit the graves of their relatives who have passed away. When I was young, my mother used to pick some fresh flowers from the garden and early mornings, and she took my sisters and me to my grandfather’s grave in the cemetery were we would leave the flowers and some food. This was all done for my grandfather’s soul decides to return to eat them all. This year I didn’t practice this day because here in Chicago it is difficult to find the special materials to make an altar like the paper, the flowers, the food, and the strong tequila. Most important of all are the missing people that you love to help you making this altar.




Traditionally, everybody in the family comes together for this celebration. All the family helps making an Altar on their relative grave. Many purple chains and pictures about the dead person and things that he or she really liked are on the grave. The picture represents the soul of the person, and the chains a way to return from the beyond. They start this ritual by walking all around the cemetery and then they will cry on the grave. In the meantime, they start cleaning and decorating the place. In this city, it is hard to find all these things, and if you do for sure they have the higher prices for each object. In Mexico, everything is very cheap and you can find it in the nearest store behind your house.





Music, food, and flowers are also very important for this day. Each one has a especial meaning. They all come together to create a big party for the dead person. Their favorite music starts to play. Sometimes, it can be music that makes you feel sad or even music that can make you feel joy. The dead person that is coming from the beyond is now thirsty and hungry, so that is why we leave their favorite dish that they used to like when they were alive. For example, mole, fish, tacos, tostadas are the menu of the night, and we can’t forget the strong tequila, so they can find their way back in a happy mood. The fresh flowers are a way to decorate and make them feel like at home because of the smell. My mother always cooks the traditional mole that needs to be prepared with time, she puts all the original ingredient like, tortillas, chocolate, bread, and the peppers. In Chicago, is difficult to find the right ingredients.






In the U.S. nobody celebrates this day, so it was hard for me to practice this wonderful tradition this year. I didn’t make an altar, I didn’t put fresh flowers on my grandfather’s grave, and I didn’t put pictures or tequila in his honor. What I did was to be present in mind and thoughts on that day. Now, it makes sense to me everything what this day means. I am sure that the next year I will return and keep Celebrating this holiday with all my family.


No comments:

Post a Comment