Friday, March 5, 2010

Lost in Translation by Sin Sze Yeung



What direction?


  “The world hates change, yet it is the only thing that has brought progress. The only person who is educated is the one who has learned how to learn and change.” I have been in the United States for two and a half years, but I still feel like I am lost in translation. I found that I have had difficulties adapting to the weather, learning languages and dealing with culture shock, but the most difficult part of this new experience is education. Education has made me feel lost in translation since I arrived in this country.


  The educational system in Hong Kong and United States is totally different. The education system in Hong Kong has been described as "spoon-fed". It means students just need to learn what the teacher “feeds” them. It is totally different than United States education system. In the United States, students have to discuss the learning material with classmates, and also get a chance to discuss and argue with teachers in the class. Since I was already accustomed with the old system of study, I don’t like to talk too much while doing my work. In mathematics class, I just spend my time taking notes and doing my classwork and exercises. If it is not necessary, I won’t talk to my classmates until I have a question. The only time that I will have commutation with my classmates is when the teacher assigns us to have discussions based on the lesson. These actions may affect my studies for being too individual.


  Having classmates that come from every continent with different culture has also made me feel lost too. At the beginning, being with them was full of observations and new discoveries. However, I found that it is hard to understand their habits, beliefs and viewpoints. I had experienced this difficulty before. I had heard people telling jokes, but somehow I didn’t understand why the person thinks it is funny. This is because those jokes were based on the person’s culture and background. I can accept the foreign culture and adapt to it, but it is hard understand what the real meaning inside my classmates’ minds are. In class, people will chat with each other about their life, their habits or things they did. They talk and laugh with each other, but I can’t get into their group. It is because we don’t have the same habits, and most of them think my lifestyle is different from theirs. It is because I don’t watch US dramas, I have no interest in sports and I go to church. That’s why I feel lost in school with my classmates.


  The different style of studying is the main reason that made me feel lost in translation in my new country. In Hong Kong, the purpose of studying for most of the students is just getting a high grade in order to get into the best school or a job. Students study to get a high grades, but they tend to forget what they had studied or learned after that. Teachers and parents want students to get a higher grade, so they will put pressure on students to make them do their best. In the United States, the focus of education is different. The United States government strongly believes that the purpose of studying is like the quote we always say, “Education can change our life and the world.” Education is also an expression of diverse teaching philosophies, cultural and social lifestyles. Students use their knowledge from studies to change their life and make their life successful. Education for Hong Kong students is to get a good grade. In the United States, students are supposed to become intelligent. Since there are no teachers or parents to force pressure on me if I don’t get a high grade, it has become my excuse of not trying my best in my studies.


  For now, I am still having a hard time in education in United States. The US educational system, change of classmates and new study style has made me lost in my translation to this country. I don’t know when I will overcome this obstacle, but I will try my best to prepare my road to the university degree first. I don’t want to be the only child that is left behind in the society, lost in translation.

8 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that Hong Kong and Korea have very similar education style.^^ The most Korean students have been studying for their good grade and getting good school as well. I have same experience like you when I took the first ESL class in the U.S, but now, I was able to enjoy taking a class here. I believe that you can overcome the difference of cultures. Sometimes I couldn't understand some people's habit or opinion, even though we were from same county. Love your photo selection!

    ReplyDelete
  3. In China, students always listen to teachers. In fact, it was a old fashion teaching method. Now, educators want to change this situation. However, it needs time. In U.S.A, they think practicing in life is more important than knowledge in the book. They also prefer to team working. I like this kind of education because you learn from life. Sometimes you know how to do it in your mind, you might feel difficult to do it in life. I think when you get used to this style studying, you will enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think some school in my country, Brazil, has the same education as Hong Kong. I had the same experience when I came to the US. It was a little bit hard to adapt to American style education, but after I adapted I could felt much more learned than I had in Brazil.I hope you can overcome from this obstacle

    ReplyDelete
  5. macaronmoon > Thank you so much, I will try my best to overcome this my obstacle. My photo were took by LOMO camera by people that I don't know, I want to show the distress mood for my article.

    Qimei Huang> Yes, It was the old fashion teaching method. The government is using the method like US but students just want to have instant noodle. Thanks, I think I will enjoy my study life.

    Angelica> Sure, I will try my best to overcome this obstacle. Thank you : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you are doing good. I think even if you feel more comportable, you can do better.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Sincere, did you still remember I asked you that you were so quiet before? Now I understand. I think going to church is a good activity. Hong Kong and China have the same educational system because the high population. The people don't know the quality of students which they don't meet before in China, so they only can depend on their high grades and graduated university. I think it is not only old teaching method, but also the society push the educational system into school.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is true that we might seems a little too much for you and sorry for that. You know it is also how we protect ourselves. Some of us just closes themselves like a seashells and other will sometime talk to in fact say nothing.

    ReplyDelete