Sunday, March 7, 2010

Day of the Angel

I really miss celebrating my "second" birthday. It got lost in translation when I moved to the US because Americans do not celebrate this holiday. When I discovered this, I felt like an angel who lost her wings. In Ukraine, we call our second birthday, "The Day of the Angel". The origin of this holiday is from the 1620s. Ukraine started practicing it when they accepted Christianity from Byzantium. As part of this practice for children born out of wedlock, the mother would not be allowed to name the child. When the child would be baptized, the priest would choose a name based upon the day the child was born. The belief was that his angel guardian would protect the child. Although this is not a strict rule anymore people still practice this tradition in Ukraine. However, because it is not celebrated in the US, I feel like an angel in limbo between two worlds.





In my family we practice this tradition but in a modern way. Every member of my family has their own Day of the Angel. On this day we give small gifts with a wish to have a happy Angel Day, and my mother would cook a special dinner to celebrate the holiday. It is nice to know that someone is looking after you from above in addition to your family. In the US, people do not celebrate this day. I feel like I have to acknowledge local holidays and traditions in order to fit in to American society. It hurts sometimes because I feel that I ignore my Ukrainian holidays and traditions. Even my Ukrainian friends feel like they have to follow American traditions, so they will not feel like outsiders. Sometimes the only way I can celebrate my traditions is by communicating with my family. Usually, my parents call me on this day with best wishes.



Explaining the Day of the Angel to Americans is very complicated, so I often do not talk about it, when I do they look at me like I am an alien from another planet. Even though it is hard when I talk about it, I tell them the story of how I was named after my grandmother who was named after St. Nadia. This St. Nadia, whose name means hope, became my guardian. Even though my angel name day is in September, I was born in February. The legend states that there were three sisters named Belief, Hope, and Love. These three sisters were always together. They were interconnected and could not exist without each other. Therefore, I always feel like I have two sisters Belief and Love who are following me and it is a great feeling to have. After telling my story and getting strange looks, it still feels good because I am keeping my traditions close to me.






While living in the US I have felt a domino effect of not only losing my favorite holiday, but also losing my other holidays and traditions. For example, the St. Ivan holiday legend states on this day a girl would find out when she would get married, or who she would marry. Even Easter is different in Ukraine than it is in America. For Easter we take a small basket with food to church to be blessed. In the US it would be odd to see this. Without these traditions I feel like I am losing a connection with my country and myself.



Following my traditions in the US is not always easy because I am becoming a person with two cultures. The challenge is I am trying to learn my new culture without losing my old culture. I want to make sure I pass on my Ukrainian traditions and customs to my children. I want them to know who I am and where I am come from. Also, I want my children to know they will always be protected not only by me, but also by their angel guardian, and if I am not there for them there angel guardian always will be.

5 comments:

  1. We have the same kind of tradition in France, but it has a different name. We call them the Saint. However, we do not give as much importance to it as you do in your country.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It must be fun to have second birthday! The most Korean have two dates of their birthday due to having two different calendar in Korea; one is lunar calendar and the other one is western calendar. However, It has totally different meaning compare to your country's second birthday, and we celebrate only one of those.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a very interesting festival, thanks for your sharing. I think if you are living in the U.S, you need to follow the culture in the U.S, but you can keep your own country's culture with your family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have learned a new culture from your essay. It is intersting for me. Thank your introduce and beartiful pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was interesting for me to read your essay. I could learn about your traditions, which I didn't know at all.

    ReplyDelete